Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Homeward Bound

Yoooooooo! As hard as it is for any of us to leave (at least most of us), we are officially on our way home. We're currently at the free Yahoo internet cafe in Narita International Airport, Tokyo, Japan, painfully dealing with our five-hour layover before our flight to JFK. I could update you with the details of the last few days, but honestly, it's 7:15am Thai time and I slept for maybe 30 minutes on the flight from BKK. Though I am very sad to leave, I think I speak for everyone when I say I cannot wait to get home. Mom -- what's for dinner? I'm hungry.

Some of my favorite [non-anticipated] moments:
  • Anthony sitting down on a squatting toilet not realizing that the grooves on either side were for your feet.
  • Vas thinking that the chirping bugs at sunset in Angkor Wat were actually an alarm system designed to tell everyone that the park was closing.
  • Ben talking off the ears of every person we had any sort of extended interaction with (maybe that's why we got bailed on so many times).
  • My night of debauchery with Pipe and M in Chiang Mai, and the ensuing slap Vas suffered after trying to take care of me (Sorry, V).
  • Anthony and I nearly having our faces washed by two small girls who wanted to clean our cab's windows for money (had to be there... or at least hear about it the next day...).
  • My dosey-doh dancing skills in Siem Reap.
  • Anthony and I 'singing' Bon Jovi on stage at a Thai pop star's birthday party with her famous actor boyfriend (stay tuned for more on that).
  • Nearly eating fried chicken feet.
  • Being cat-called by Thai hookers every 10 feet in Koh Samui ('Sawadeeeeeee. Sawadee Kaaaa. Where you from? Wha your name? Sawadeeeeeee. I like you.').
  • Meeting a girl vendor in Angkor Wat that knew the capital of every state in the US (Did everyone else know the capital of Montana was Helena? Me neither.).
  • Vas using my Lonely Planet guide to tell the waitresses at a restaurant in Bangkok without an English menu that he doesn't eat meat, their ensuing confusion, and our later realization that he was reading from the Vietnamese section.

I think that's it for now. I'm hungry, and this damn airport only has two places to eat - a noodles place, and another noodles place... I am in serious need of some fast food. We will all share some more final thoughts and an update of the last few days when we finally get home after this God awful 13 hour flight (It leaves Tokyo at 11:30AM and arrives in JFK at 11:25AM - We go back 5 minutes in time! Sweet.). SEE YOU ALL SOON!

No comments:

Post a Comment