Tuesday, June 30, 2009

I'm Bored - Additional Commentary from Siem Reap

Ant just gave the summary of today and yesterday, but I'm still waiting for my 417 pictures and videos to upload to Picassa, so I'll add a word or two (and some photos). First of all, though Ant thinks his new nickname is Lucky, he's the only one who refers to himself as that. Secondly, 'Crazy Girl' was easily the cutest child I've met on this trip, and I had no issue with buying ten more postcards for a dollar to add to the ten I already bought yesterday. Another interesting approach was the growling child that barked like a dog and chased me before begging me to buy his flute. I didn't want the flute so eventually he just chased me away and I never came back. Sorry, kid. It is really hard to face them all though.

Ah! Pics are finally up, so I'll make this quick. Sunrise over Angor Wat was easily one of the most spectacular things I have ever seen. I think the overall favorite though was Ta Phrom, the forest temple, where I had fun climbing stuff and getting lost. There seems to be a trend on this trip: Ben, Vas, and Anthony walking ahead or behind of me, as I stroll along aimlessly, stopping every so often to observe the most obscure things at my own pace. I'm also the only one who didn't buy a cell phone and a SIM card before we got here, so it's amazing that I haven't gotten lost yet.
Interesting piece of information: Last year, Angkor Wat was narrowly outvoted by the Great Wall of China, the Taj Mahal, the ruins of Petra (Jordan), the Great Pyramids, the Christ statue in Rio, the Colosseum, and Machu Pichu in a 'New' Wonders of the Ancient World competition (likely because few people have ever heard of it though).

Oh yeah, and the difference between Siem Reap and Phnom Penh is unbelievable. I've seen more legit hotels here than in Bangkok, and there's a whole street literally called 'Bar Street' lined with pubs, clubs, and restaurants. Definitely hitting the $1 Angkor draughts up tonight. In the mean time, enjoy the pics from today below.

I also created a new Picassa album at: http://picasaweb.google.com/thaikappblog/ThailandCambodia# - Should include everything from the trek onwards. If it doesn't work, I'll need to invite you to view them, so shoot me an email.









1 comment:

  1. awesome. just what my mom wanted to see in the mail - two elephants preparing to mate

    ReplyDelete